Preserving the Promise of Opportunity for New Americans
The Opportunity Agenda works to expand communications that build positive support for immigration policies to chip away at harmful anti-immigration trend. Our work includes media scans of immigration coverage in mainstream print and broadcast, online, Spanish- and Chinese-language, and African American outlets, as well as around specific issues such as language acquisition and children of immigrants. We also monitor public opinion, providing meta-analyses of current polling and focus group data to identify trends in public thinking.
We produce communications tools such as talking points and model media materials for advocates to use in their pro-immigration media work. Finally, we lead field training on messaging and media communications for immigration allies in the social justice field around the country, with a focus on human rights in the American South and the southern border region. The emphasis is on designing, conducting, and evaluating trainings on messaging, media readiness, oral presentation, and other communications skills with a wide range of advocates, policymakers, artists, and other social justice leaders.
Reports, Memos and Case Studies
- Media Analysis and Strategies: News Coverage of the U.S. - Mexico Border (September 2014)
- The State of Media Coverage of Immigration 2012-2013 (April 2013)
- Immigration and Gender: Analysis of Media Coverage and Public Opinion (November 2012)
- Millennials' Attitudes Toward Immigrants and Immigration Policies (August 2012)
Talking Points and Fact Sheets
- Talking Immigration Issues Today: Due Process and Basic Rights (May 2013)
- A Commonsense Approach: Immigration Policy Solutions (2013)
- Message Guidance: Supreme Court Arizona v. U.S. Case (2012)
- Leveraging the Moment - Talking About President Obama's DREAM Announcement (2012)
Click here for more immigration research, materials and blog posts.