Description of Position
The Opportunity Agenda is a social justice communication lab. We believe in the power of communication and collaboration to drive lasting change. We collaborate with social justice leaders to help tell more compelling stories that drive lasting culture and policy change. Through a combination of communication expertise, training, creative engagement, and research, we amplify the inspirational voices of opportunity. Based in New York City, The Opportunity Agenda is a non-profit organization dedicated to the idea that our nation can and should be a place where everyone enjoys full opportunity.
The Communications & Training Associate will conduct work that is at the center of the organization’s mission, and report to the Training and Engagement Coordinator to enhance and support the organization’s training, media and partner engagement strategies.
The Communications & Training Associate is an exempt position. Exempt employees are expected to work the appropriate and necessary time to complete key assignments and related tasks on schedule.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist with the drafting, enhancing, developing and rolling out of training resources and materials on messaging, media readiness, oral presentation, and other communications skills;
- Work with training team to support and provide training to a range of partners and audiences;
- Manage training and conference calendars and track training and media metrics;
- Coordinate with the research team on the evaluation of trainings and facilitate the evaluation process with training team;
- Coordinate with the Editorial and Outreach Director to expand the scope of The Opportunity Agenda’s reach as a result of trainings conducted;
- Assist with the planning and successful implementation of the annual Communications Institute, and 2-3 regional 1.5-day Leadership Courses per year.
- Coordinate the logistics of on-the-ground trainings and convenings;
- Respond to inquiries about training, conference presentations and other partner engagement work;
- Systematize and manage an extensive library of presentations, templates and videos for easy staff access;
- Contribute to The Opportunity Agenda’s progress reports, briefings, proposals, and blog;
- Participate in staff calls and meetings, as well as periodic external convenings.
- A minimum of 3 years relevant experience, including in the delivery of trainings, and the development of effective strategic communications materials, partner relationships, and training materials.
- Experience in providing training in social justice a plus.
- Direct experience on social justice campaigns preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice and to The Opportunity Agenda’s mission.
- Excellent writing, public speaking, training, and analytical skills.
- Experience working with diverse partners, audiences, and trainees.
- Ability to clearly and respectfully edit partner materials and provide feedback.
- Willingness to travel throughout the nation approximately 25 percent of time. (Availability on evenings and weekends occasionally required).
- Ability to work well with limited day-to-day supervision.
- Familiarity with PowerPoint or Keynote and other office software.
- Graphic design or visual communication skills preferred.
- Knowledge of criminal justice, economic opportunity, immigration, and racial justice issues is strongly preferred.
- Ability to speak Spanish fluently is preferred.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY AGENDA:
The Opportunity Agenda, a project of Tides Center, is an “at-will” and equal opportunity employer. Applicants and employees shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity age, mental or physical disability, sexual orientation, gender (including pregnancy and gender expression) identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law or ordinance. Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application."
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
The salary range for this position will be determined based on experience and skills. Health, dental and vision insurance are provided as well as life insurance, short-term and long-term disability, flexible spending, and 403(b) retirement accounts. Generous vacation package.
LOCATION: New York, NY
The incumbent will have daily interaction with following internal departments: Communications and Operations. They will also have frequent interaction with other colleagues and Partners.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, and sit. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds. Sit up to 8 hours a day at computer. Able to travel by airplane.
Open space office. Open space office will be noisy at time due to phone conversations and open space layout. Some work may be completed off-site.
Applicants should send a letter of interest, resume, and writing sample to email@example.com include “Communications & Training Associate” in the subject line. No phone calls please.