Description of Position
The Opportunity Agenda seeks an experienced Development Assistant for its New York City office. Reporting to the VP for Institutional Advancement, the position will play a critical role in the organization’s ability to expand individual giving and major gifts; foundation and corporate giving; and a variety of fund-raising events, ranging from small cultivation gatherings to our annual gala.
The Development Assistant will work closely with the Development Coordinator, oversee day-to-day database management, and collaborate as needed with other program and administrative staff. This is an excellent opportunity to work with strong fund-raising leadership, and to learn about and participate in all aspects of non-profit fundraising. In addition, as the department expands, there is strong potential for internal advancement.
The ideal candidate will have a commitment to social justice issues and to The Opportunity Agenda’s mission, and an interest in non-profit management, fundraising and communications.
- Research prospective individual supporters as requested using multiple search tools, including iwave, LinkedIn, Google, marriage and obituary announcements, and other sources.
- Prepare background information and other materials as needed for donor and funder meetings.
- Assist the Development Coordinator in foundation research and prospecting.
- Manage the production of appeals and thank you letters, including mail merge, printing, and mailings as needed.
- Ensure the Vice President is prepared for all meetings and presentations. Provide oversight and organization of meeting materials, tech requirements, equipment, and refreshments where relevant.
- Proofread letters, proposals and other written materials as needed
- Manage the VP’s calendar and schedule and serve as the primary contact for all internal and external scheduling requests.
- Coordinate travel planning, arrangements and logistics for the VP (and other senior staff as needed).
- Submit invoices and credit card statements
- Other clerical and administrative duties as requested
Development Event Support
- Assist the VP and other staff in the coordination and logistics of cultivation and donor events.
- Serve as primary logistics coordinator and liaison with consultant(s) for the annual fund-raising gala.
Database Maintenance and Data Entry
- Working closely with both development and outreach leadership, and with database consultants as needed, participate in database cleanup, code correction and implementation of correct coding, and data uploads.
- Enter all gifts and grants, as well as notes and other information as needed, into the Raisers Edge CRM database.
- Work closely with outreach and development staff to collect and enter new records, delete or adjust returns and changes, and create and utilize segmented lists as needed.
- Reconcile contributed income with the operations/finance team
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- 2-3 years related experience working in a non-profit environment with an understanding of fundraising principles and activities.
- Experience working with Raisers Edge and Luminate preferred
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Strong organizational skills and ability to handle multiple priorities, tasks and deadlines.
- Detail oriented, with a friendly and optimistic demeanor.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including an ability to communicate with diverse populations, as well as internal staff, with tact, diplomacy confidentiality as needed.
- Demonstrated administrative, clerical, data entry and office support skills, including scheduling and calendar management.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite and with fundraising databases
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Excellent verbal and writing skills.
- Detail-oriented with willingness to be hands-on.
- A sense of humor, humility, and a collaborative spirit
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY AGENDA:
The Opportunity Agenda was founded in 2006 with the mission of building the national will to expand opportunity in America. Focused on moving hearts, minds and policy over time, the organization works with social justice groups, leaders, and movements to advance solutions that expand opportunity for everyone. Through active partnerships, The Opportunity Agenda synthesizes and translates research on barriers to opportunity and corresponding solutions; uses communications and media to understand and influence public opinion; and identifies and advocates for policies that improve people’s lives.
We strongly encourage and seek applications from women, people of color, bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the LGBTQ communities.
The Opportunity Agenda, a project of Tides Center, is an “at-will” and equal opportunity employer. Applicants and employees shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, mental or physical disability, sexual orientation, gender (including pregnancy and gender expression) identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law or ordinance.
Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
The salary range for this position will be determined based on experience and skills. Medical and dental insurance provided, as well as short-term disability, flexible spending, and 403(b) accounts. Generous vacation package.
LOCATION: New York, NY
The incumbent will have daily interaction with following internal departments: Development, Communications, and Operations. They will also have frequent interaction with other colleagues, Funders and Partners.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, and sit. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds. Sit up to 8 hours a day at computer. Able to travel by airplane.
Open space office. Open space office will be noisy at time due to phone conversations and open space layout. Some work may be completed off-site.
Applicants should send a letter of interest, resume, and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write Development Assistant in the subject line. No phone calls please.