The draft opinion in Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization leaked from the Supreme Court this week is NOT the final decision, but the preview it offers of how the court might rule confirms our greatest fears — a “full-throated” repeal of Roe v. Wade. Should this decision become final, its impact could extend far beyond the right to access abortions. We must respond to this moment with a vision of what full rights look like for all of us, our children, and generations to come.
Moments of great fear and anxiety call on us as advocates, influencers, artists, and cultural strategists to be voices of clarity and inspiration and to move audiences into action. We channel anger toward a shared sense of the power we feel when our voices rise up in unity, and we tell stories to bring our values to life.
In the buildup to the Court’s final decision, emphasize the potentially far-reaching consequences of this threat to the right to privacy under the law. This draft opinion paves the way to not only criminalize our right to decide what’s possible for one’s own body but also who we choose to marry and love, and how we choose to raise our children. Visit our rapid response guidance for quick messaging tips and use the links below to pivot audiences toward solutions and action.
- Donate to the National Network of Abortion Funds
- Share Abortion Access Front’s tools on digital safety and at-home abortion care
- Demand Congress pass the Women’s Health Protection Act
Messaging guidance and storytelling:
- What Now?! Talking About the Supreme Court (The Opportunity Agenda)
- Abortion is Essential: Stories of Liberation (American Civil Liberties Union)
- Ten Tips for Putting Intersectionality into Practice (The Opportunity Agenda)
Background, research, and polling:
- Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization: What’s at stake for Abortion Rights and Access (National Women’s Law Center)
- If Roe v. Wade Falls: Travel Distance for People Seeking Abortion (Guttmacher Institute)
- Is Abortion Legal in My State, and What Happens if Roe v. Wade is Overturned?(Planned Parenthood)
- Not Up for Debate: LGBTQ People Need and Deserve Tailored Sexual and Reproductive Health Care(Guttmacher Institute)
- With Supreme Court poised to reverse Roe, most Americans support abortion rights: POLL (ABC News/The Washington Post)